April 30, 2011

In memory of Chris Maddux

I know for many people reading this, they know exactly who this man is. Yet i know some people reading this are not from PC so they don't know him. This man was a teacher at my high school and i had TV live production with him. I have had teachers pass before and of course it's sad to know anyone that has passed, but i've never had a passing of a non family member take effect on me so much as this has. For many of us, we had atleast that one teacher who inspired us and greatly changed our lives. It was until senior year that i would have 3 teachers like that and he was one of them. There was a different change on my life from each of them. I came into his class last year thinking i would just be a fun class to take. I loved journalism and film from there but was intimidated and never thought that i could do it. He always told me that it would be a wonderful thing for me and that i really should pursue it. If it weren't for his class and the constant encouragement, i wouldn't have gone into journalism. Aside from how he inspired many students, he was such a wonderful man. I've seen him be there for many students in times of need and he was also for myself. He was so sweet to me when my grandma died and didn't just send me off, but he sat there and talked to me about it. He always tried to make people feel better and he was just the one teacher whose class you would always look forward to. Even though i graduated last year, he has always been one of the three teachers i always visit. Everytime i would come in he would talk to me about how my life was and school. He always would give me a hug and tell me he's so proud to see me doing so well and following my heart. The last time i saw him was a month and a half ago and he told me he was looking forward to the next time i come in. We discussed all this and how his son who is also a friend of mine, is about to go off to college. He told me that he wishes so much how he could send him anywhere he wanted to, but it's not possible since both his parents are teachers. Anyone knows he was so selfless in how he cared for his family. Everyday we would watch him stop class to kiss and hug his kids goodbye. It's amazing to see a man who just finds so much love and happiness in their families and in being a mentor to students. There were people who would just see him around or the ones who have a future due to how he helped them. For a very long time it's going to leave a very empty feeling for anyone who walks into the TV media room knowing that he will no longer be there. There was always such a good spirit in that room due to how he made it. I felt that i needed to write this to help how this is hard for me. It's better to remember the great of a person that constantly thinking of how they're gone. I know for many people he inspired and mentored that this is hard and that i'm definitely one of many who is affected by this. I'm just glad that he is no longer in pain and hopefully one day his family will be okay through all of this.

1 comment:

michael said...

Nice letter Macael, I have so many great memories in his class as well and I agree that he was probably one of my favorite teachers ever if not my favorite. If it weren't for him I would have never discovered film and developed a passion for it. Even if I grow up and don't do any work related to film it will always be one of my greatest hobbies. Every time I pick up a camera I will think of him and all that he did for me and so many others. Last time I saw him was graduation and I wish I could have seen him again as he was one of the few teachers I ever looked forward go going back and seeing once i returned home.This is one of the hardest losses Iv ever had to deal with. He really was such a huge part of my high school experience, as yours and so many other and I wish the best for his family and hope that he is in a better place.